Register Here – First, you will need to register your connection. Click Here to register, but note you will need to be connected to our service before this link will work. If this link is not working, give us a call at (309) 451-4200 and we will assist you.
2. Can I use a wireless router and how do I set it up? Yes you may use a wireless router, however please make sure it is only a router and not a router/modem combination. There are instructions on how to connect a wireless router under ‘Tech Support’ and ‘Connecting A Wireless Router’.
4. Can I connect my mobile device and tablets? If you live in an apartment with wireless internet you can connect mobile devices and tablets if you are able to pick up the signal. There are instructions on connecting these devices under ‘Tech Support’ and ‘Connecting Mobile Devices and Tablets’. If you are not in a complex where we provide wireless, you can use a wireless router to setup a private wireless connection. See ‘Connecting A Wireless Router’ for support.
1. What should I try first when my internet stops working?
- If you can, check to see if someone else around you is still working. (i.e. roommate or neighbor) If other people around you are not working then the apartment complex may be down at that time.
- Try using a different Ethernet cable to see if that enables you to get back on the internet.
- If possible, plug your computer into a different Ethernet wall jack in the apartment. If the computer can get out to the internet there may be a physical problem with the original jack and you should contact our tech support at (309)-451-4200.
2. Do I need to manually set an IP address and DNS servers? No your computer needs to be set up to retrieve these settings automatically. Click here for directions on where to find these settings.
3. Do I need security on my computer? Yes, you are responsible for having your own protection from viruses and spyware on your computer. There are links to some anti-virus and anti-spyware programs on our Helpful Links page.
4. Does Connectivity u or the apartment complex provide tenants e-mail address? No, you will have to get an e-mail address from a provider. Some examples would be: Yahoo mail, Google mail, and iCloud mail.
5. What are my incoming and outgoing e-mail servers? The incoming and outgoing e-mail servers should be provided to you by your e-mail provider.
6. How do I get wireless in my wired apartment? You can purchase a wireless router for yourself and connect it to the Ethernet wall jack.
7. How can I connect to the U of I VPN? The U of I have recommended the following:
- Aventail SSL VPN. You can download the software at http://ctweb1.cites.uiuc.edu/sslvpn/clients/index.html. It is recommended to use the Direct Download and configure the software by hand. For instructions please contact the U of I Tech Support.
- Cisco VPN Client. You can download the software at http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/navigator.html?mdfid=270636499. Chose the Cisco VPN Client v4.x then chose your OS. Once you have this installed please use the University’s settings to get connected to their VPN. For settings please contact the U of I Tech Support.